Golden Arrows fight back to hold Chiefs

Daniel Cardoso and Ndunduzo Sibiya © Gallo Images
Daniel Cardoso and Ndunduzo Sibiya © Gallo Images

Golden Arrows came back to hold Kaizer Chiefs to a 1-1 stalemate in an Absa Premiership match at the FNB Stadium in Johannesburg on Saturday night.

The draw sees Amakhosi remain fourth on the league table with 47 points – seven behind log leaders Bidvest Wits, while Abafana Bes’thende climb up to the ninth spot on the standings.

The first real goalscoring opportunity of the match fell for Lerato Lamola just two minutes into game, but the Arrows striker’s effort was blocked as the visitors looked to take an early lead.

Arrows winger Kudakwashe Mahachi was looking lively for his side and he was fouled by fellow Zimbabwean Williard Katsande in the 18th minute and the Chiefs midfielder was booked.

The home side were finding it difficult to unlock the Abafana Bes’thende defence and the two Chiefs strikers Gustavo Paez and Bernard Parker needed more support in the final third.

Edmore Chirambadare, the Chiefs winger, pulled the trigger from range in the 29th minute, but the 25-year-old winger’s shot missed the target as the Arrows defence continued to frustrate Amakhosi attackers.

At the other end, Arrows forward Siphelele Magubane led a quick counter attack, but his shot took a deflection and Chiefs goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune collected the ball with ease.

Amakhosi tried to pile pressure on the Abafana Bes’thende defence towards the halftime break, but the visitors stood firm at the back and the score was 0-0 during the halftime break.

Steve Komphela, the Amakhosi coach, made the first change of the game in the 53rd minute – pulling out Chirambadare for fellow winger William Twala as the home side searched for the opening goal.

The Soweto giants came very close to scoring just after the hour-mark when Parker’s well-taken cross into the Arrows box was deflected and it almost resulted in an own goal.

However, Chiefs’ pressure paid off in the 77th minute when substitute Ryan Moon controlled the ball beautifully, before beating Arrows keeper Nkosingiphile Gumede to make it 1-0 to his side.

Abafana Bes’thende pressed Amakhosi in the dying minutes of the match – playing enterprising football as they looked to penetrate the home side’s defence and level matters.

The visitors did get the goal they had been looking for when another second-half substitute Knox Mutizwa headed home in stoppage time to ensure that Arrows drew 1-1 with Chiefs.

This article was sourced from the PSL website.

Related posts


Nie Cele

Chiefs beat Stellenbosch

Nie Cele


Nie Cele

Leave a Comment