SAFA spells out Bafana Bafana coaching criteria
This was part of the wide-ranging resolutions taken by the SAFA NEC held at Wanderers Club in Johannesburg on Saturday.
Part of the criteria includes:
- Excellent understanding of the South African playing philosophy
- International Coaching Experience, especially African competition with a minimum of 5 and 10 years
- Good track record
- Must possess vision and passion for football development
- Minimum of Professional coaching license or equivalent qualification
- Good player management skills
- Good planning skills
- Bound by the Statutes of SAFA, awareness, understanding and respect for SAFA structures and policies
- Excellent technical, medical and scientific skills
- Willingness to embrace and use of technology and
- Excellent communication.
SAFA President Dr Danny Jordaan spoke on the need for the incoming coach to qualify for the FIFA World Cup in 2018, Africa Cup of Nations in 2019 in Cameroon, Chan and winning the COSAFA Cup.
The SAFA CEO then read names of those who had applied for the Bafana Bafana position emphasising that all of the applicants had not been solicited.
However, SAFA will set up a committee this coming week to head hunt the incoming coach as soon as possible as the senior national team has a bumper 2017 season in which they would campaign in Africa Cup of Nations, FIFA World and CHAN tournaments.
The coach should be in place by the time Bafana Bafana take on Guinea Bissau and Angola in friendly matches in March.
“We want to continue climbing in the FIFA rankings which is what Vision 2022 entails. And we are right on track if you consider when we took over Bafana Bafana were number 84 in the world and are now ranked 60 in the world, 11 in Africa and number one in the COSAFA Region,” said SAFA President, Dr Danny Jordaan