Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/egolijozinewsco/public_html/wp-blog-header.php:17) in /home/egolijozinewsco/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bsa-plugin-pro-scripteo/lib/functions.php on line 7

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/egolijozinewsco/public_html/wp-blog-header.php:17) in /home/egolijozinewsco/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bsa-plugin-pro-scripteo/lib/functions.php on line 7



Chippa United and Cape Town City played out a frustrating 0-0 draw in their DStv Premiership clash at Sisa Dukashe Stadium on Wednesday afternoon.

This match continually threatened to burst into life, as both teams created decent scoring chances through the 90 minutes, but ultimately neither was able to draw blood. The result sees the Citizens remain in seventh place on 25 points, while the Chilli Boys are nine points back in 12th.

City applied all the early pressure and had a great chance to claim a fifth-minute lead when a slick passing move put Thabo Nodada through on goal, but the midfielder was thwarted in his attempt to round goalkeeper Ayanda Mtshali.

Continuing his comeback from injury, Aubrey Ngoma made a first start for the Cape side and was a lively presence in attack. His best chance of the first half arrived in the 19th minute when he unleashed a shot from a tight angle, but was unable to hit the target.

Chippa, meanwhile, suffered a major injury blow when influential attacker Andile Mbenyane succumbed to a groin injury, necessitating the introduction of Tumelo Mogakwe just before the half-hour mark.

The hosts gradually gained a foothold in the game and managed to stem the pressure from City, though they offered little threat to Peter Leeuwenburgh at the other end of the field, leaving the game goalless at the break.

City’s first clear chance of the second half arrived nine minutes after the restart, with Justin Shonga heading just wide of the far post after meeting a left-flank cross from Terrence Mashego, while Chippa soon opted for changes by introducing Peter Maloisane and Bienvenu Eva Nga from the bench.

The visitors themselves made a triple substitution on the hour mark, with Craig Martin, Mduduzi Mdantsane and Bradley Ralani coming on to try and provide that extra spark of creativity needed to break down the Chilli Boys’ defence.

Martin had a tough chance in the 79th minute when he used his speed to run into space on the right of the penalty area, but his effort from a tight angle flashed over the target, with Mtshali well placed to make a save had the effort been on a lower trajectory.

On 88 minutes Chippa created the best chance of the match, with Avela Cezu stealing possession high up the field before feeding Maloisane, who stabbed a low shot wide of the target with only the City goalkeeper to beat.

The teams will return to DStv Premiership action on Saturday 6 March, with Chippa and City at home to Orlando Pirates and Stellenbosch FC respectively.

Chippa United 0

Cape Town City 0

Chippa: Mtshali, Mobbie, Nsabiyumva, Mthethwa, Hanamub, Booi (P. Maloisane 58’), Sangweni (Cezu 83’), Lentjies (Jodwana 83’), Mokhele, Mbenyane (Mogakwe 29’), Kwem (Eva Nga 58’)

City: Leeuwenburgh, Mkhize, Fielies, Potouridis, Mashego, Mokeke, Nodada (Martin 60’), Makola, Lakay (Ralani 60’), Ngoma (Mdantsane 60’), Shonga (Morris 75’)©.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.