Nomination process for the 2017 Gauteng Sports awards now opened
Gauteng Sports MEC, Faith Mazibuko and Rand West Mayor Mzi Khumalo.
Its official, sport fanatics and the community at large can now submit their nominations for their preferred candidate in different categories of the Gauteng Sports awards.
This groundbreaking announcement was made by theGauteng Department of Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation at a media breakfast held at Gauteng Sport Confederation House, Johannesburg stadium.
At first it was announced that this 7th edition of the awards was made possible by the department and the Rand West Local Municipality and other stakeholders and is billed for October in the West Rand.
Organisers also revealed that these activities will culminate into an evening to be remembered awards ceremony that will showcase the best names in sport, past and present joined by celebrities and personalities from entertainment, fashion, business and politics, adding that the event will broadcast live on TV.
Speaking at the packed event, the department’s MEC, Faith Mazibuko said,“In keeping with this year’s theme of 2017 being declared the year of Oliver Reginald Tambo, the Gauteng Sport Awards will be celebrating a man who fought hard for liberation and reflecting on how far we’ve come in Sport 23 years later. This will be demonstrated by hosting sporting events between our local township schools and schools that offer the Italian language curriculum in Gauteng.”
Mazibuko, also urged parents to support their children by attending sporting events where they participated.
“Very few black parents attend sports activities,” She said.
The MEC also highlighted that Gauteng is the Home of Champions.
“ We have delivered champions to South Africa and the world, and I urge you to submit nominations for more champions to be recognized. This year in particular we encourage members of the public to submit nominations of champions who live in communities.”
“Through sport we need to ensure that our liberation, unity and freedom is promoted and enjoyed by all South Africans, let us be a good example across the world of taking forward the good that has been passed on to us by those who walked before us,” Mazibuko added.
It was also announced that there is a grand prize for the voting fans.
“While celebrating our sporting star’s we also celebrate our fans. “VOTE’ FOR YOUR FAVORITE SPORT PERSONALITY AND STAND A CHANCE TO WIN A CAR,”Said the MEC.
She also promised that the awards will not disappoint as they profile the best sporting stars in the province.
“Upon receipt of the nominations an adjudication panel that comprises of members of the media, sport administrators and an auditor will adjudicate and put forward the finalists who will compete for the grand prizes.”
Rand West Mayor, Mzi Khumalo, echoed the same sentiment and said, “We are the producers of champions.” Adding that it was imperative for people to participate in the voting of these sport champions.
Did you know?
- Each category finalist will receive R5 000 cash and the category winner will receive R15 000 cash. The Sport Personality of the year will receive R 45 000.00
- For a nomination to be considered the following needs to be considered:
- A nominee must be a Gauteng resident/citizen, including a migrant
- The period to be considered is from 1 July2016 to 30 June 2017
- Nominees (athletes,coaches and technical officials) must be a registered member of a Gauteng sporting organization for the speci-fied time of
- Nominations will only be accepted on the official nomination forms available from gautengsportawards.co.za or collected from any one of the sport federation offices.
- Nomination forms to be accompanied by supporting documentation (Profiles, Testimonial, Photos, etc.)
- Closing date for nominations submissions is 8thAugust 2017 @ 16h00, no late nominations will be
- These are some of the categories that will be considered for the 2017 awards, Sportsman of the Year, Sportswoman of the Year, Sport Team of the Year, Sport Journalist of the year and Sport Programme of the year.
- The following categories will be voted for by the public by way of sms. Sport fan of the year, sport programme of the year and sport personality of the year.