Supersport beat Arrows

Supersport beat Arrows


SuperSport United secured a 3-2 victory against Golden Arrows in an Absa Premiership match at the Sugar Ray Xulu Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The victory saw Matsatsantsa climb up to sixth place on the league standings, while Abafana Bes’thende remained 10th on the table.

Matsatsantsa were the better side in the early stages of the encounter and Nkosingiphile Gumede was the busier of the two goalkeepers.

The Arrows shot-stopper produced two good saves to deny SuperSport striker Bradley Grobler in the first 15 minutes of the game.

However, the visitors deservedly grabbed two quick goals just before the half-hour mark with the hosts’ defence exposed on both occasions.

Aubrey Modiba played a good cross in for Evans Rusike, who scored with a header from close range to make it 1-0 to SuperSport.

It was soon 2-0 to SuperSport when Teboho Mokoena played a great cross to an unmarked Mxolisi Macuphu, who scored on his official debut.

Matsatsantsa continued to attack after doubling their lead, but Gumede made a decent save to ensure that the first-half ended with SuperSport leading 2-0.

Abafana Bes’thende started the second brightly and they were awarded a penalty after quick forward Lerato Lamola was fouled in the Matsatsantsa box.

Knox Mutizwa then stepped up and he beat SuperSport keeper Ronwen Williams to make it 2-1 for Arrows in the 57th minute.

The momentum was with Arrows and they managed to make it 2-2 in the 61st minute when Seth Parusnath finished off a cross from Danny Venter with a great header.

SuperSport coach Kaitano Tembo introduced attack-minded players George Lebese and James Keene as the visitors looked to grab a late winning goal.

The visitors did grab a late winning goal when Teboho Mokoena beat Gumede in the 86th minute to seal SuperSport’s 3-2 victory over Arrows.

ARROWS (0) 2 (Mutizwa 57′, Parusnath 61′)

SUPERSPORT (2) 3 (Evans 27′, Macuphu 29′, Mokoena 86′)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.