Supersport Telkom


SuperSport United booked their place in the quarterfinals of the Telkom Knockout following a 6-5 penalty shoot-out (1-1 after extra-time) win over Polokwane City at the Old Peter Mokaba Stadium in Polokwane on Sunday afternoon.

Thuso Phala’s goal five minutes following his introduction looked sure to have sealed Matsatsantsa’s place in the next round, but Edgar Manaka rose highest from a corner-kick in the 91st minute to send the match into extra-time and subsequently penalties.

Following 11 successful penalty kicks, Ayanda Nkili fired high and wide as SuperSport advanced into the next round at Polokwane’s expense.

SuperSport started the game the brighter of the two teams and should’ve opened the scoring in the opening minute of the clash, but Ghampani Lungu failed to beat Harold Ndlovu after bursting through on goal.

The Zambian then hit the woodwork from the resulting corner-kick as SuperSport turned the screw from the onset.

Having survived an early surge from the visitors, Rise and Shine registered their first shot in anger through Jabulani Maluleke, who guided his free-kick attempt straight at Ronwen Williams.

SuperSport, though, regained control soon after and Ndlovu had to be at his best once more to deny Aubrey Modiba from an acute angle in the 29th minute.

Modiba was a constant threat and teed up James Keene eight minutes later, but that man Ndlovu was up to the task once more to keep out the forward’s powerful drive.

Matsatsantsa continued to dominate up until the break, but Ndlovu stood firm with the game deadlocked at 0-0 as the teams headed for the tunnel.

The second half got off to a more subdued start, with Williams called into action on two occasions before the hour mark as Rise and Shine went in search of the opener.

It would be the visitors, though, to open the scoring with 77 minutes on the clock as Phala pounced on a long ball forward by Teboho Mokoena before prodding home past Ndlovu.

Phala’s goal looked sure to be the difference between the two sides, but Polokwane hit back through Manaka, who headed home in added time to duly send the match in 30 minutes of extra-time.

Neither side really threatened either goalkeeper in extra-time and with no more goals forthcoming, the match headed to penalties.

SuperSport duly emerged victorious following 11 faultless penalties, with Nkili finally missing the decisive kick.

Polokwane City (0) 1 (Phala 77′)

SuperSport United (0) 1 (Manaka 90+1′)

SuperSport won 6-5 on penalties.

Polokwane City: Ndlovu; Mvelase (Tlolane 83′), Hlongwane, Nkili, Mbonani, Seabi, Mngomezulu, Manaka, Anas (Musona 76′), Maluleke, Booi (Phiri 99′).

SuperSport United: Williams; Modiba (Phala 72′), Bhasera, Khumalo, Daniels, Letsholonyane, Keene, Kekana, Ntshangase, Lunga (Boateng 113′), Mokoena.


Related posts


Nie Cele

PSL Award winners have their say

Nie Cele

Leopards draw with Stars

Nie Cele

Leave a Comment