SuperSport dump Chiefs out of Ke Yona

© Gallo Images
© Gallo Images

SuperSport United booked their place in the 2017 Nedbank Cup semifinals after defeating Kaizer Chiefs 5-3 on penalties on Saturday night.

The quarterfinal encounter ,which was played at the FNB Stadium, had ended in a 1-1 stalemate after regulation time and extra-time.

The match got off to a slow start and Chiefs goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune and his SuperSport counterpart ,Reyaad Pietersee, were not seriously tested in the first 15 minutes of the game.

Matsatsantsa had a rare chance to take the lead in the 22nd minute, but Clayton Daniels’ looping header sailed over Khune’s goal-posts as the visitors failed to punish the Chiefs defence.

Ramahlwe Mphahlele, the Chiefs full-back, pushed forward six minutes before the half-hour mark and he played a good cross into the box as Pieterse came out to collect the ball comfortably.

SuperSport combined nicely in the Amakhosi box in the 37th minute, but Reneilwe Letsholonyane placed his attempt over Khune’s goal-posts from close range.

The momentum was with Matsatsantsa and four minutes later, SuperSport winger Phala outpaced his marker, but Khune was alert as he made a save to ensure that the first-half ended goalless.

The first real chance of the second-half fell for Chiefs forward Bernard Parker in the 54th minute, but the veteran striker fired wide of the target with Pieterse rooted to the ground.

Matsatsantsa then took control of the match and 13 minutes later, South Africa international Khune was forced into denying Thabo Mnyamane, who had fired straight at him from close range.

Pressure was mounting on the Amakhosi defence and Khune produced a magnificent save – finger-tipping Jeremy Brockie’s shot-cum-cross over the crossbar as the hosts conceded a corner-kick.

The resulting corner-kick was beautifully volleyed home from the edge of the Chiefs box by New Zealand international Brockie in the 72nd minute to hand SuperSport a deserved 1-0 lead.

Chiefs head coach Steve Komphela responded by pulling off George Lebese seven minutes later for William Twala, who made an immediate impact following his introduction.

The former Orlando Pirates winger played a great cross into the SuperSport box in the 81st minute and Mphahlele rose highest to head home to make it 1-1 for Chiefs.

Brockie should have snatched a late winner in the closing minutes of the encounter, but Khune came out to save the striker’s effort to ensure that the game went into extra time.

Chiefs were handed a golden opportunity to take the lead for the first time on the night from the penalty-spot in the 104 minute after SuperSport captain Dean Furman was adjudged to have handled the ball in the box.

However, former Chiefs shot-stopper Pieterse dived to his right to make an excellent save to deny Parker from the spot-kick and the first-half of extra-time ended at 1-1.

The two sides were unable to find the back of the net in the second-half of extra-time as the game proceeded to a penalty shootout.

SuperSport won 5-3 on penalties after Chiefs midfielder George Maluleka hit the upright and Brockie converted to fire Matsatsantsa into the semifinals.

Chiefs (0) 1 (Brockie 72′)

SuperSport (0) 1 (Mphahlele 81′)

Kaizer Chiefs: Khune, Mphahlele, Gordinho, Mathoho, Khumalo (Paez 74′), Maluleka, Katsande, Molangoane, Lebese (Twala 79′), Tshabalala, Parker (Ekstein 108′).

SuperSport United: Pieterse, Boxall, Gould, Daniels, Bhasera, Mokoena, Letsholonyane (Masango 106′), Furman, Phala, Brockie, Mnyamane.

This article was sourced from the PSL website.

Related posts


Nie Cele

KFC Cricket series

Nie Cele

Motsepe league 2018

Nie Cele

Leave a Comment