Social cohesion games are back!
Premier David Makhura signing the pledge during the launch of the social cohesion games.
Its official, under the premise ‘Unity in Diversity’ the much spoken about second instalment social cohesion games will be rolled out in different parts of Gauteng, thanks to provincial government,the Hellenic Italian and Portuguese (HIP) Alliance and the Mmakau Group.
Organisers say these games areaimed at promoting social cohesion, nation building and mobilizing citizens and communities against racism and xenophobia in the Gauteng Province.
At the launch organisers told the media,The 2018 Games have already kicked off with coaches from the Serie A and European Champions League contenders AS Roma, holding clinics for children and coaches in Ennerdale, Randfontein and Alexandra in the past week.
It was also announced that Gauteng number one citizen Premier, David Makhura will play for both teams in the final.
Tournament convener and Chairperson of the Italian section of the HIP Alliance, Maurizio Marianotold the packed gallery that, We stand United in Diversity.
“Together with the African Diaspora Forum, the Hellenic, Portuguese, Chinese, Jewish, Muslim & Hindu Association communities have put together the most diverse group of people in one event. Through these games we will, in a small but significant way, assist in unifying our Province.”
Former BafanaBafana Coach Shakes Mashaba, pledged to commit to respect and protect others.
“We don’t need explosive bombs to destroy other people.”
He also urged people to take these games very seriously.
“Its not about me or you but about us.”
Stavros Nicolaou, of Aspern said poverty and unemployment can be better tackled if we can have social cohesion in the country.
“If we can condemn racism and xenophobia we can succeed in our effort to wrestle these social ills.”
Makhura told the audience that Gauteng is a cradle of humankind, cosmopolitan and afropolitan province.
He also stressed that social cohesion is about red-carding racism and xenophobia.
“We want to be a magnet for talent. This province must be a place for people wanting to make something out of their lives.
“There was never a more appropriate time to show the country how we can unite under the banner of football.
“Football is a common denominator; in Gauteng, on the continent and in turn the world-over. It transcends all differences and serves to remind us that we have a lot more in common, than what divides us,” said Makhura.
Gauteng MEC for Sports, Recreation, Arts & Culture, Faith Mazibuko is on record saying Social Cohesion is one of the key drivers of the change needed in our country, and in turn our Province.
“An active Citizenry in building Social Cohesion and Nation Building can contribute enormously towards the transformation, modernization and re-industrialization of our economy and society. Through football we can play our part in achieving this.”
Did you know?
- This coming Saturday, 7th & Sunday, 8th of April will see a congregation of Nationalities, Football Legends, Super Stars, Politicians and Celebrities club together in an effort to remind masses to say “No to Xenophobia” and “No to racism”.
- The Games have attracted almost 4 000 participants including players over 35 years, from diverse races, denominations and nationalities, playing 7-a-side social football from across 11 regions of Gauteng.
- The Last 16 stage will be held at the Westbury Stadium on Sunday, 8 April, with the ultimate final scheduled for the Ace Ntsoelengoe Stadium in Randfontein on Sunday, 15th April 2018.
- The final will see 18 teams participating with 9 matches to be played.
- Six Ladies teams will also participate in the Women’s Tournament.
- Not to be outdone, other entertaining matches to be played on the day will be the “Gogos match”, where two senior citizens female teams “fight it out”, as well as the much anticipated Premiers Exhibition Game, featuring the Premier and many more well known former players and celebrities.
- Included in all the teams are former players from both South Africa as well as the rest of the continent.
- Players such as Roger Feutmba, former MamelodiSundowns and Cameroon International, Innocent Chikoya, Edelbert Dinah, Doctor Khumalo, Frank Makua, TebogoMoloi, MaimanePhiri, Portia Modise, JabuMahlangu and Steve Lekoelea, to mention a few, will show off their skills on the day. Celebrities Arthur Mafokate, Walter Mokoena, David Kekana, Thomas Mlambo and DJ Cleo will also grace the occasion to put up a good show.