Golden Arrows’ Absa Premiership slump continued unabated on Saturday evening when they were beaten 4-1 by Cape Town City at Ellis Park in Johannesburg.

Goals from hat-trick hero Fagrie Lakay and Tashreeq Morris took the Citizens to a fifth win from their last six matches – with a top eight finish now looking highly likely – while Abafana Bes’thende have now lost three on the bounce and gone seven games without victory, putting their top eight ambitions almost out of reach.

City claimed the lead as early as the ninth minute, with Fagrie Lakay capitalising on a poor touch from Divine Lunga before producing a superb finish from a tight angle on the right of the penalty area, firing a powerful shot beyond the reach of goalkeeper Sifiso Mlungwana.

Just two minutes later Lakay netted again, with a shot from the edge of the box deflecting off an Arrows defender and flashing into the top corner – with the ‘keeper left helpless to react in time to the change of direction.

City’s offence suffered a blow midway through the first half when leading goal scorer Kermit Erasmus took a heavy hit to the back from young defender Siyavuya Ndlovu. The striker played on and attempted to run the injury off, but was replaced as a precaution in the 35th minute by Tashreeq Morris.

Arrows were also forced into a change in attack, with Michael Gumede limping off just before halftime to be replaced by Lindokuhle Mtshali. The Citizens led 2-0 at the interval, but they should have netted a third just before the end of regulation time when Mduduzi Mdantsane failed to beat Mlungwana in a one-one-one situation.

Abafana Bes’thende made further changes at the start of the second stanza when Nduduzo Sibiya and Siboniso Conco came off the bench, yet City continued to look the more dangerous in attack and Mdantsane spurned another great chance just before the hour mark, with a tame shot easily saved by the ‘keeper.

However, the game was ended as a contest when Morris made it 3-0 in the 63rd minute. Bradley Ralani did brilliant work down the left flank before playing a cross which was only half stopped by Mlungwana and gave the striker an easy finish into an unguarded goal.

Arrows pulled a goal back in spectacular style in the 74th minute, with Knox Mutizwa netting his 14th of the season with a beautiful strike direct from a free kick. The Durban side had further flashes of threat in attack, including a long-range hit from Seth Parusnath which was well saved by Peter Leeuwenburg, but ultimately there was no dramatic comeback.

In fact, City made it 4-1 in injury time when Lakay completed his hat-trick, converting a penalty won by substitute Thamsanqa Mkhize.

The teams will return to action on Wednesday 2 September when eight matches are played simultaneously for the penultimate round of the 2019-20 season: Arrows will host Bloemfontein Celtic at Ellis Park, while City will visit Highlands Park at Dobsonville Stadium.

Golden Arrows (0) 1 (Mutizwa 74’)

Cape Town City (2) 4 (Lakay 9’ 11’ 90+4’, Morris 63’)

Arrows: Mlungwana, S. Dube (Conco 46’), Ndlovu, Mathiane, Lunga (Sibiya 46’), Makhubela, L. Dube, Shitolo, Parusnath, Mutizwa (Lamola 89’), Gumede (Mtshali 45+2’)

City: Leeuwenburgh, Martin (Mkhize 85’), Fielies, Mobara, Seedat, Nodada, Mdantsane (Roberts 73’), Mokeke (Kewuti 73’), Lakay, Ralani, Erasmus (Morris 35’)© Backpage TXT.


Related posts


Nie Cele

Danones Nations Cup Registration

Nie Cele


Nie Cele

Leave a Comment