Supersport nedbank

Mnyamane, Brockie sends SuperSport through

Thabo Mnyamane with Brockie © Gallo Images
Thabo Mnyamane with Brockie © Gallo Images

SuperSport United remained on course for the double after sinking Royal Eagles 2-1 in their Nedbank Cup last-32 clash at Harry Gwala Stadium on Wednesday night.

Thabo Mnyamane fired the hosts ahead with a low finish after 11 minutes, but the defending champions were pegged back in the 29th minute when Mzwandile Dlamini finished a swift counter-attack by curling into the far corner.

Matsatsantsa would restore their lead through Jeremy Brockie with 15 minutes left to play as they advanced to the last 16.

There was a controversial moment seven minutes from time after the referee ruled out a Katlego Mphela free-kick that had gone directly in, rather than being taken indirectly.

Kingston Nkhatha had the first chance of the game when his shot in the opening two minutes was parried wide by Eagles goalkeeper Joslain Mayebi.

Then in the ninth minute both Brockie and Dean Furman wasted good chances when they chose the wrong options from inside the six-yard box as SuperSport dominated.

And the opener eventually arrived when Brockie played in Mnyamane on the right and the recent Bafana Bafana call-up easily shrugged off Sabata Mosebo and drilled in low beyond Mayebi.

The Eagles goalkeeper did splendidly midway through the half when his flying dive to the left kept out a Mandla Masango free-kick as Matsatsantsa continued to create chances.

However, they were hit on the break when Dlamini levelled after he was played in with a good pass from Phumelele Bhengu, who did excellently to hold off his marker and play his teammate into space on the left.

It was 1-1 at the break and after the restart, Bhengu forced Reyaad Pieterse to make a diving stop as he escaped down the left.

There was another wonderful chance for the home team after 65 minutes when substitute Philane Shange curled agonisingly wide with the SuperSport goalkeeper beaten.

There was finally some real openings for the visitors on 67 minutes as Mnyamane and Michael Boxall drew sharp saves out of Mayebi.

That was the cue for Stuart Baxter’s men to up the ante and they went ahead not long after when Onismor Bhasera crossed from the left and Brockie headed in unmarked from the centre of the box.

Mphela did find the back of the net, but it was eventually ruled out after much confusion.

This article was sourced from the PSL website.

Related posts


Nie Cele

Telkom knockout

Nie Cele


Nie Cele

Leave a Comment